Risen from the tiffin centers of Karnataka, the rava idli is arguably the best variation on the idli. An amalgamation of semolina, yogurt and spices, the rava idli is often served with potato sagu and coconut chutney. It’s made with Bombay sooji, but this here is one of Bangalore’s favourite.
Servings - 4 (8 idlis)
Difficulty Level - Easy
Preparation Time - 50 mins
Cook Time - 10 mins
- 1/2 cup Master Cook Bombay sooji
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp Master Cook mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Master Cook jeera (cumin seeds)
- 2 tsp chana dal (bengal gram)
- 1/2 tbsp cashews, chopped
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of baking soda
- Roasted cashews and grated carrots for garnish
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2.7g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 20.4g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|
|Total Sugars 2.6g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
Disclaimer: The nutritional values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to quality of ingredients and food preparation. The nutritional analysis found on the recipe pages is calculated from the individual ingredients in each recipe. No information, services, or materials offered by or through this Site shall be construed as or understood to be medical advice or care.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry mustard, cumin, chopped cashews and chana dal.
- Once golden, add curry leaves, green chillies and ginger.
- When the raw smell disappears, add sooji to this and mix well until crunchy. Let cool completely
- Once cooled, add salt, coriander leaves, yogurt and water. Stir and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Grease the idli moulds and place a roasted cashew and some grated carrots in each mould. Prepare a cooker or steamer by bringing water to a boil.
- Adjust the idli batter so it's thick but runs in a smooth flow.
- Add lemon juice and baking soda to the batter and mix gently.
- Immediately pour the batter into the moulds and transfer to the cooker or steamer.
- Close and steam for 10 minutes on a high flame. Then, let cool for a 5 minutes and then de-mould using a wet spoon.
- Serve with potato sagu and coconut chutney.