Garlic Knots Recipe
Garlic knots are made from bread dough. A traditional Italian pizzeria snack, buttery & bursting with garlic flavor. It’ll be difficult to limit yourself to just one!
Servings - 5
Difficulty Level - Easy
Preparation Time - 2 Hours
Cook Time - 20 Mins
- 300 gm / 2 cups Mastercook Maida
- 8 gm / 2.5 tsp Yeast
- 160-180 ml / 2/3 cup to ¾ cup Water
- 15 gm / ¾ tbsp Sugar
- 6 gm / 2 tsp Salt
- 25 ml / 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 gm / 1 tsp dry mixed herbs
For Garlic Butter
- 50 gm / ¼ cup Butter
- 10 ml / ¾ tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5-6 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 gm / 1 tsp garlic bread seasoning
- 1 gm / 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- Start by sifting together the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the yeast with the water and sugar. Set aside to proof for 5 minutes. This also checks if the yeast is alive. If there is no froth after 5 minutes, check the temperature of your water or buy new yeast.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and slowly add the water and knead gently for 3-4 minutes. Once all the flour has been hydrated and the dough is coming together, sprinkle on the mixed herbs and olive oil.
- Knead the dough for another 3-4 minutes until it is a smooth soft dough.
- Place in a greased bowl and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- After it has risen, punch down the dough and divide into 15 equal pieces. If you wish to measure each piece, it should be roughly 35-37 grams.
- Roll into a light ball and set aside on your countertop.
- Take one ball and roll it very lightly in flour. Using both hands, roll it into a thin log approximately 15-20 cm in length.
- Pick up the log and wrap it around two fingers and put the loose end through the middle to form a knot.
- Place the knot on your baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- There is no problem if they are a little close together, just don’t let them touch as it will rise further.
- Cover and set aside to proof for 30-45 mins or until doubled.
- When approximately 20 minutes have passed, start preheating your oven to 200 C / 400 F / Gas Mark 6.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the garlic butter and rest in a warm space to prevent the butter from hardening.
- At this point the knots are proofed and ready. Place it into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden.
- Remove from the oven and immediately add it to the garlic butter mixture. Toss to coat every knot and serve hot.
Tips for Cooking
- Always ensure that your yeast is alive before starting to prepare bread.
- If you have space, you can keep the garlic butter bowl on top of your oven, this keeps it melted and warm, ready when you need it. It also cooks the raw garlic and herbs slowly, ensuring that they are not too pungent. If you cannot do this step, just melt and heat the butter slightly and then mix your ingredients into it.
- Always add piping hot knots into the garlic butter so that they can absorb it well. If you want to make it ahead of time, just prepare the knots and butter separately and heat them up before tossing together.
- You can also add pesto to the butter to enrich the flavour.
- You can also toss them in butter and put it back in the oven to crisp them up.