French Bread Recipe
This bread recipe, which can be formed into a round or baguettes & makes fantastic sandwiches or bruschetta, is a long, thin form of bread of French heritage.
Servings - 4
Difficulty Level - Medium
Preparation Time - 3 to 4 Hrs
Cook Time - 30 mins
- Start by mixing your yeast with the water and set aside. This helps activate the yeast, making sure that it is alive.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the Mastercook Maida, Chakki Atta and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the yeast-water mixture little by little, incorporating some flour from the well.
- Once all the water has been added, begin lightly kneading the dough until all the dry flour has been absorbed.
- If you have been mixing and there is still dry flour, you can add water 5-10 ml at a time, till the mixture is hydrated.
- Begin kneading for about 5 minutes, the dough will be sticky at first but will come together to form a smooth ball.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow to ferment for 30-45 minutes till doubled.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your worksurface and turn the dough onto the workbench. The top of your dough should be touching the surface.
- Lightly press the dough to release the gas, and starting at one end, lift and tuck an edge into the center, repeat on all sides.
- Turn the dough over and roll it lightly on the workbench to form a bowl shape, known as a ‘boule’.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F / Gas mark 6
- Repeat the shaping process to give your bread the final round shape.
- Spray with water and place in the oven, bake for 20-30 minutes until a crisp and golden brown crust is formed.
- Tap the crust and if it sounds hollow, your bread is done!
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Tips for Cooking
- In India, the room temperature is conducive for yeast growth, therefore warm water is not required to make bread. Although if your temperature is cold, you may need to warm it very slightly.
- Incase your crust goes soft after cooling, place it back in the oven at 150 C to crisp up the crust again.