Churma Ladoo Recipe
Authentic Gujarati, Rajasthani churma ladoo Made with Master Cook Chakki Atta, Jaggery powder & assorted chopped nuts is usually made during the Ganesh Chaturthi
Servings - 10
Difficulty Level - Medium
Preparation Time - 1 Hour
Cook Time - 1 Hour
- 75 gm / ½ cup Mastercook Chakki Atta
- 30 gm / 2 tbsp Ghee
- 20-30 ml / 2-3 tbsp Milk or Water
- 75 gm / ½ cup Jaggery or Jaggery powder
- 40 gm / 2.5 tbsp Ghee
- 60 gm / 1/3 cup assorted chopped nuts
- 5 gm / 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 gm / ¼ tsp poppy seeds
- In a bowl, add the chakki atta and 2 tbsp ghee. Using your fingers, rub the ghee into the flour till it is evenly mixed and has a sandy texture.
- Sprinkle a little water or milk at a time and knead the dough till it comes together.
- You want a stiff or semi stiff dough. Keep kneading for a few minutes until it is smooth.
- Form the dough into small discs or logs and lay on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 180 C / 375 F / Gas Mark 5 for 30-40 minutes, flipping over in between and until it is browned and golden on both sides.
- Take it out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool, blend in a blender until it is fine.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- In a pan, heat 2.5 tbsp of ghee and add the chopped nuts and sesame seeds. Roast until fragrant and just beginning to brown. Add the poppy seeds, stir once and tip the entire thing into the blended churma mixture, including the ghee.
- Now mix the mixture well to evenly disperse the nuts.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before adding the jaggery.
- Using your hands, rub the jaggery into the mixture until it is is well incorporated.
- Now squeeze a small amount in your hand and see if it sticks and holds together. If it does, form the ladoos by squeezing and rotating the ball in your hand to form into a round sphere shape.
- If it doesn’t come together, add a little ghee at a time, mixing well until it does. You may also find that, allowing it to cool further helps to shape it easily.
- Shape the ladoos and enjoy. These can be kept at room temperature in a sealed container for a week or in the refrigerator for a month.
Tips for Cooking
- If you wish to deep fry the churma pieces, you can do it on a low flame with warm oil until they are crisp and hard. This is the traditional way of doing it.
- The nuts that you add have to be quite finely chopped. Alternatively you can pulse the mixture in the blender as well.