Chicken Pulao Recipe
Ready in Jiffy, this pulao is a finger-licking dish made with a blend of Vijay Gold rice, chicken, ghee, & garam masala. Sure to be a hit at the dinner table!
Servings - 6
Difficulty Level - Medium
Preparation Time - 30 Mins
Cook Time - 30 Mins
- 500 gm Chicken, curry cut
- 50 gm / 1/3 cup yogurt
- 7 gm / 1.5 tsp Red chilli powder
- 4 gm / 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 gm / ½ tsp Turmeric
- 20 gm / 1 tbsp Ginger – Garlic Paste
- 6 gm / 1 tsp Salt
- 100 gm / 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 50 gm / 1 medium tomato, roughly chopped
- 25 gm / 10-12 sprigs Coriander Leaves
- 20 gm / 3 Green Chillies
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp Oil
- 15 gm / 1 tbsp Ghee
- 500 gm Vijay Gold Sona Masoori Rice
- 1 Bayleaf, 4-5 cloves
- 3 Green Cardamom
- ½ inch piece Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise
- 750 ml Water
- 5 gm / 1 tsp Biryani Masala (Optional)
- Wash and strain the chicken to remove excess water.
- In a bowl, add the yogurt, red chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, ginger garlic paste and salt. Mix well and add the chicken. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, wash and soak the Vijay Gold Sona Rice and keep the water to heat up on the side.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and add the whole spices, bayleaf, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise. Saute for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and saute on medium flame until golden brown.
- Now add the marinated chicken and saute on high flame for 3-4 minutes until the chicken releases some of its moisture and the masala’s start cooking.
- At this stage, add the chopped tomato and biryani masala (if using). Saute for an additional 2 minutes until the tomato is mushy. Now add the coriander leaves and green chilli.
- Cover and cook on low flame until the chicken is 80% done, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the hot water and mix well. Add Salt and allow the water to come to a vigorous boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the rice and stir once. Let the heat remain high.
- Boil the rice uncovered until the water has evaporated and the rice is 80% done.
- At this stage, cover tightly and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and add ghee all over the rice.
- Switch off the flame and cover for 10 minutes.
- Serve Hot.
Tips for Cooking
- The ratio of Rice to water is 1:1.5. If you add more water, it tends to be very sticky. This ratio gives the ideal pulao texture.
- When adding salt to the water, taste it to ensure there is enough, it should be slightly salty.
- Do not stir the rice too much, it will break, stir gently to ensure full grains.