Bajra Uttapa (Bajra Flour)July 18, 2023
Bajra Uttapa (Bajra Flour)
- 1 cup bajra flour (pearl millet flour)
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup semolina (optional)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped vegetables
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt (to taste), Water (as needed)
- Oil (for cooking)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bajra flour, rice flour, semolina (if using), yogurt, ginger paste, cumin seeds, and salt. Mix well.
- Gradually add water to the flour mixture while stirring to make a thick yet pourable batter. The consistency should be similar to pancake batter.
- Add the finely chopped vegetables and green chili (if using) to the batter. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Let the batter rest for about 10-15 minutes. This allows the flours to hydrate and the flavors to blend together.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly grease it with oil.
- Once the skillet is hot, pour a ladleful of the batter onto the center of the skillet and spread it gently to form a circular uttapa shape. You can make it as thin or thick as you prefer.
- Cook the uttapa on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes until the bottom side is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip the uttapa and cook the other side for an additional 2-3 minutes until it is cooked through and browned.
- Remove the uttapa from the skillet and repeat the process with the remaining batter to make more uttapas.
- Serve the Bajra Uttapas hot with chutney, yogurt, or any of your favorite toppings.
South Indian Style Egg Curry